The Incarnations of Animated He-man/First Experiences

 

The comparison chart of Skeletor is the best way to demonstrate the differences (and similarities) between all the Animated versions of the He-Man and The Masters of The Universe mythology, because he is such an iconic character that defines his world. Of course, the odd one out that jumps at you right away is  1990's The New Adventures of He-Man. Why was it so different? Well, first of all, the times were different, and the cartoons were different, and it simply reflected the style of the animated TV shows of the time, which were almost exclusively made by Japanese studios. That's why the style so closely resembles the anime movies, with its signature character design and watercolor painted and airbrushed backgrounds. And it's basically reinventing He-Man for early 1990's audiences. But with new look, style, feel, character and the change in character's personalities, it didn't take well. 

But that was actually my introduction to He-Man. I was around 6 when the JetLag Productions Cartoon aired and it was the first cartoon that myself and all my neighborhood friends got into. We loved it and everyone collected bubble gum stickers that promoted the show. I liked the "Superman costume" that Skeletor wore and thought he's a cool villain. I have never known , heard of or seen the original Filmation cartoon. Then shortly after TMNT hit my areas and it was all TMNT for everyone from then on. 

Fast forward about 10 years later when I'm in my mid teens, enjoying a meal while skipping through channels. I stop on an obviously old cartoon I don't know - Judging by the style I was guessing a 1970's Hanna Barbera. I stopped because the design of the forest was extremely unique and amazing, and the sound design and effect, while clearly archaic, created this eerie tale atmosphere, and it seemed like the action was taking place in medieval times. 

And then in comes the original Skeletor: his eerie image, of a hooded, eyeless yellowed skull, performing black magic, coupled with the scenery, sound design and overall feel blew me away. "What is that?" I asked myself. I figured it out it must have been an old version of He-man. The designs of the background were fantastic, the music chilling and unlike any other cartoon's. Evil_Lynn looked and sounded like a witch that would fit the old Disney movies. The story was like Brother Grimm's fairy tale, with the best designs possible. Yes, I know I mentioned the settings already, but look at them




I made sure I watched every episode from then on and started reading as much as possible on it. It was unbelievable that children's cartoon could have demons, human sacrifices to ancient monsters, summoning demons at the altars, eerie abandoned cities and occult ceremonies. 









Skeletor's Staff was made out of Ram's skull!

But it was all augmented with a world of trolls, goblins, dragons, talking trees, sea monsters. What a mythology! It's still my fourth favorite mythology. It's so unique and rich. And the most unique thing about it was the surreal mix of times: It was all seemingly taking place in a mix of medieval and Barbaric times, yet they all had sci'fi technology like flying vehicles, computers, robots and laser guns.

It's a world of mystic mountains, abysses with no end, haunted castles, enchanted forests, fountains of youth. A mix of Greek, Roman and Pagan Mythologies, with the world of  Lovecraft and elements of Lord of The Rings

Architectural design is also incredibly diverse and impressive, as is the costume design and even furniture

The cartoon itself is as simple an innocent as can be, and the plot is so formulaic and simple it wouldn't hold an adult audience for the most part, but it's in its execution that makes it still so popular and such a standout. The mythology is so rich and so good, and the vintage feel of the cartoon, coupled with an eerie music and sound effects (monster roars are used from 1970's monster movies) creates a spooky feel. 

So after the Filmation cartoon wowed me so much and made me research its world, I remembered the New Adventures cartoon and I was extremely curious about how it looked and what the character design was. Early 2000's weren't what it is now for the internet, and I couldn't even find a single screenshot of the 1990 incarnation other than the title screen which indicated to me it was in the Japanese style of the late 80s/early 90s. I managed to track a German VHS with two episodes on it (Pilot and 'Sword and Staff') and my jaw dropped..in a wrong way. I was taken aback how cartoony the characters looked, especially Skeletor, and how massive of a departure the show was in every possible way from the original cartoon. Myth and magic was replaced with space, planets and space stations. Fantasy out, Scifi was in. 

Skeletor not only had eyeballs, but he had skin: he wasn't just a skull, he had a grey (later yellow) face which allowed him to have expressions unlike the previous incarnation. 


It wasn't just the look of Skeletor which was completely changed, it was his personality too, intentionally. His voice was completely different, without that nasal quality to it, and he acted more like Batman's Joker. he was energetic, cheerful, constantly joking. 

But now I actually love the New Adventures, I think it's very interesting to have the mythology in such radically different styles. It gives the whole thing a greater variety. Although to be fair, this incarnation isn't unique in any way and it's just another cartoon of its time. 

In 2002, Cartoon Network premiered a reboot: a modern day retelling of the original cartoon. The mythology was enriched and the storylines much more intricate. The animation style was also that of its time - a very angular look to everything. The designs were all updated and pretty good, and the show was really good too. I just don't think it captures the original’s paintery quality and the eeriness of the original show, and that the original artwork was far superior, despite this updated show doing pretty well in the animation department. It also, for obvious reasons, gets rid of all the Pagan/Occult stuff of the original show. 

I hated the show when it first aired only because it wasn't the original. I felt it tried to replace something far superior, but it really wasn't and I very much appreciate the show nowadays. It's also something the entire family can enjoy. Unfortunately the show wasn't a success which is a pity because it was a really good one other than the fights which were comically repetitive. 

In the recent years Kevin Smith created his own continuation of the Filmation cartoon, ignoring the New Adventures which were a direct sequel as well. It was ok, the artwork was good, and the show wasn't bad, just doesn't have the same charm as the original and the 2002 one. 

Comments