Discovering the ALIEN TRILOGY

My first experience with Alien Trilogy was very fractured. And what I mean by that is that I haven't seen the films in chronological order, and I discovered them years apart.

 Fairly often I notice online that the younger generation attributes admiring some of the sci fi classics to nostalgia. Even some directors do it, trying to cover their own inability to create an instant classic or at least a great and admired film. What some claim is that the hardcore fans of some films hold them in such high esteem because of the way they felt when they were young. That the wow factor they had seeing it as kids is psychologically engraved in them, therefore they tend to see the film through their young-selves' eyes. While it sounds plausible and perhaps is true in some instances, I disagree it's the only reason for loving a movie, and at least in my case it is completely not true at all.

Ridley Scott's Alien is not nostalgic for me, so my opinion on it isn't tainted by strong childhood first impressions. I haven't seen it as a kid, and considering when I watched other scifi classics, this one I saw relatively late. By late I mean in my early to mid teens. By the time I saw 1979's Alien I was already a superfan of many other movies for years and knew them by memory. It was actually the tail end of my interest in movies until my adulthood. 

The Alien Trilogy I saw backwards. While I was well aware of Alien, I didn’t become a fan until I hit double digits in my age.  As a youngster, I watched, but didn't want to dwell on horror movies. They were interesting experiences but they were too much for me. Gore, screams and cruel deaths thankfully didn't attract me when I was a kid, even if the horror was science fiction: a genre I worshipped, and throughout all of my single digit years, I was a superfan of robot movies. There wasn't a bigger fan of Terminator (The first two) and to a slightly lesser degree RoboCop films (the first two) and I could quote every scene as far back as I remember. My favorite Superman villain was Metallo, my favorite Marvel villain was Cyberiad and my favorite Batman: The Animated Series episode was Heart of Steel. See a pattern here? So Alien wasn't really up my alley

***

ALIEN 3

I did see Alien 3 in 1993 when it came out on VHS. My much older sister, a huge movie buff, rented it with excitement when it hit VHS shelves and watched it with her friend and my other older sister. I studied the VHS cover and secretly watched the movie (I could see it from behind them, so they didn't know I was watching). Of course it was one of the most terrifying things I've seen. Elliot Goldenthal's score, the Fincheresque style of the movie would traumatize any kid. I saw it as another monster movie, and there were plenty of those at the time that I knew, trust me (The Cellar, The Thing, Leviathan, Tremors), but this one was much more eerie and dark. It made the sight of the space terrifying. It was definitely the scariest of them all. It was like The Thing, but the monster was faster, more aggressive, and they were all stuck in a big cellar structure on a different planet. There's no escaping that. And that place was a nightmare: dark cellar-like corridors, spiderwebs and dripping moisture, bugs and lice covering the walls, disgusting old infirmary. The dining area was the only clean place in there. That setting itself is creepy, especially for a kid. And the place is filled with obnoxious, bald British criminals, with a repulsive, eyeless monster on the loose that has a head like a back of a Beetle. And that soundtrack: it was like Omen in space. The score had strong religious overtones, and sounded like eerie old Church choir, bringing a religion horror vibe to the space movie for the first time

Beginning the series with the third part could be confusing though. For one, the movie doesn't make it clear how one gets infected if you're completely unfamiliar with the mythology, and you don't really know what the facehugger really is. That problem itself creates domino effect of confusion throughout the film. After seeing it, I thought the contact with Alien or its saliva either results in becoming infected/impregnated or, of course, sudden death. I also thought the alien doesn't have one specific form like The Thing (and Leviathan), mainly because of the Facehugger, which the viewer doesn't know anything about from Alien 3 alone. So it just looks like another mutated form of the alien organism. An idea supported by the fact that it resembles the spider-head Norris from The Thing

So, even thought it was sci-fi, for me it was a monster movie strictly for adult audiences, not something to get into. The movie didn't just slip into obscurity in my mind because the tape was prominently featured in VHS rental places since it was a new movie, and I did see a couple of articles in my sister's movie and entertainment magazines. So I've always seen it in the horror section and always remembered how unpleasantly scary it was. The movie and the creature didn't cross my mind until a year later when it crossed into my comic book world - I grew up in Poland until the age of 16 and in 1994, Dark Horse's original Aliens vs Predator was published and pretty well hyped. I had to get it. From it, I learned all about the alien biology, and was introduced to the Warriors and the Queen for the first time. I loved that comic, and it was intense and very cinematic.

Even though the Alien entered my comic book world, I still didn't feel the urge to dive deeper into the movies. I still had the same outlook on it as I had before, that it was a monster horror movie that was so scary and creepy that it wasn't pleasant to watch. 

Then in 1996, the Alien Trilogy game came out and was being promoted pretty well. I remember my friend showing a two page spread about it in a video game magazine, and I got the same magazine to have it too. It reminded me of Alien 3 and how spooky and dark that movie was, and since I was 3 years older (an eternity when you're a kid and a lifetime of a difference), I started getting a bit interested in revisiting the movie. 

The announcement of the 4th film was all the reason I needed to finally do it. I hyped my best friend from school about it (and it didn't need much coaxing because he was excited for the Alien Trilogy game) and we decided to rent Alien 3 and watch it together in his apartment after school one day. We were 11 or 12 at the time.

It was pretty much what I remembered. It was scary, eerie and felt very much geared only towards the adult audience. The alien was indeed creepy. It looked so organic, so repulsive, so real. I remember shuddering at the thought of that thing being in the same room with me. I think the repulsiveness of it was even stronger than the fear of it. That head looked like giant bug. 

It's also interesting when you're only familiar with Alien 3 how the beginning affects you differently. You don't know who those people are, you don't know what are they survivors of. And the church-like score and whiteness of the scene made me think they must have been some Missionary workers. And Sulaco was almost like Marie Celeste, a ghost ship floating in eerie space, but not empty. Filled with few people who are unknowingly carrying this monster with them. And the name Sulaco was creepy in itself, like something evil in latin, fitting in with the religious overtones of the movie. 

We enjoyed the movie and got curious about the other ones. So that's when we decide to see the first two. 

After I saw the joke and abomination that the 4th movie was, it ruined the entire series for me so much, and did not fit with the others so much that I just couldn't look at the Alien series again. It was as if someone had thrown a piece of crap into a pool. You get out of the pool. It was the opposite of what the first three films were even while being different from each other (See HERE). It was self aware. It was humorous. It looked like any space scifi movie. It was ludicrous. That was the end of my interest in Alien for few years

I didn't get to see Alien 3 again until I got myself the Award Winning Alien Anthology DVD set well over a decade later. At the time I started rediscovering movies again (See Terminator Post for details). I wasn't scared as much this time around of course but I still thought it was really good. It was still one of the most "serious" sci-fi movies out there. It wasn't geared towards geeks, video game crowd or fans. The subject matter was taken as seriously as it can possibly be, and I very much applauded the movie for that. Around that time I discovered Dark Horse Aliens comics, which to this day I immensely enjoy, and that's when I became a diehard Alien fan. To this day, Alien is my second favorite mythology after Terminator, and it came relatively late to me.

After I burned myself out by watching those movies over and over since then, while I kept following and discussing everything Alien related , I took a break in watching the actual movies. I haven't revisited them in almost 10 years. Thanks to the break, I had such an immersive experience with all three, and enjoyed them like I had never before. With a different perspective, now being much older, a husband and a father, it was almost like watching them for the first time even though I knew them by memory for years, if that makes sense. For example, I could quote Alien for years, and I jumped! I jumped when the medical instrument got knocked off when Ripley, Ash and Dallas were looking for the facehugger. I also rewatched them together with my wife, who haven't seen them even longer than I did. 

Alien 3 was my introduction and entry to this mythology, and I often cited it as my favorite because of its mood and feel. But this time, seeing it again after seeing the first two, it didn't really measure up. Not for me, and surprisingly not to my wife, who I expected to like this one the most since it's the most character centered and drama-like. I mean, a clear analogy of a woman with a terminal illness is there, and the movie focuses on her loss and despair. Not only Ripley loses everyone dear to her in a fatal crash, she also finds out she has a "cancer". 

It's a drama set in a very bleak environment, with a very nihilistic tone and a strong horror element in form of a terrifying, disgusting creature that roams the ventilation system of the prison and kills on sight. The alien in that movie is just an appendage to the story. With little tweaking, in a broad stroke the movie would still be enough of a movie without it. So I would think that's a very attractive mix for people looking for a "serious" scifi. It is also the last good Alien movie for me personally, and the last movie that treats the subject seriously.

My wife said she didn't like this one at all for following reasons: Ripley seemed like a different character altogether, making very questionable choices (sleeping with Clemens). The characters weren't well defined for my wife's liking, as oppose to the characters in the first two which are very distinct, different from each other and that make you strongly feel/root for them. And the third reason she gave me, is that after watching the first two this one is just not as engaging. 

I viewed it very differently myself. If course, I realize and I'm not hiding the fact that the movie has issues, I just don't see issues in places most people have. For example, it's criticized for having an all British, indistinguishable cast that nobody cares for. Sure, those are inmates, but we still fear for them because:

1. It's in human nature to place themselves in the character's shoes

2. Most of them are essentially evil in description only: other than Junior and the small team that wanted to rape Ripley, they all seem like harmless simpletons and don't mean any harm for Ripley or each other. 

I also disagree they are indistinguishable from each other. I think Fincher was very brave to make them all look alike, because it makes it that much harder to make them individuals, without the benefit of visual props. But he did it, in my opinion. Not for all of them of course, and we also don't need so many characters. Some are of course still background characters. But you can't tell me you can't distinguish those guys. They're very well defined with very little. What I mean by that is, can you really say you can't tell them apart and that they all act alike?

The sets are fantastic. They don't draw attention to itself, and they perfectly continue the tradition of the original Alien of having a used and real looking future. Doors slide up, yes, but other than that it's all concrete cellar. It's only a tad more than, let's say, an old mining complex.


The infirmary for example, is an old, dirty place that looks like it's from some old abandoned prison. They could do some fancy scifi medical equipment but they didn't. Just like the previous two movies (and unlike any other sequels). They opted to ground the movie. Create "future" in principle only, but show us an actually already outdated technology, filth and decay. Likewise, Clemens uses a medical gown that is being used today. Doesn't have some Star Trekkie sci-fi uniform (like in further sequels). It all makes it the most real, grounded and "raw" science fiction

The soundtrack is one of the best, if not the best horror soundtracks of all time, and I don't think there are many who would dispute that, not even the biggest detractors of the movie. It's very church-like but haunting, creepy, and crucial in creating the eerie mood of the film. Cinematography is extremely well done as well, there's a lot of interplay between lights and shadows, and even thought Alien 3 sheds the Expressionist style that unified the first two movies, it delivers a great, moody look in its own style.

That style however, does date the movie. But I don't think the word "dated" is derogatory. It just means it clearly represents the era it was made in, and what is wrong with that if there was some great art in that era? The look and color palette of Alien 3 is very reminiscent of the early to mid 1990's style of music videos. Perhaps not coincidentally since David Fincher was a music video director. Below examples of some music videos of the times

Alien 3 is grunge. And Grunge was the thing at the time. It's a full on grunge "music" with even similar palette to Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video. Ripley also sported the iconic bald Sinead O'Connor look.

So where are the faults I see with the movie? I see it's flaws mostly in two areas. One is in the alien mythology - there's no consistency to what has been established in prior films - in the theatrical cut, one facehugger lays two embryos, the alien that bursts out from the chest is not in larva form, the alien does not have any MO, it kills everything instead of gathering hosts for the incoming queen, therefore torpedoing its own species etc. The other area is the typical Hollywood coincidentalism - it just so happens that the EEV falls in such way that it's Ripley that's the only survivor, and while some others are horrifically smashed she doesn't even have a fracture. And it just happens that in the vast universe the EEV is luckily ejected near a colonized planet and if that's not enough, it falls right at the colony's doorsteps out of the entire planet. And I do agree that after the first two, the third doesn't seem to match that white knuckle intensity of its predecessors, but I don't necessary find it to be a flaw. Alien 3 chose to be more laid back, more nihilistic, more depressing. Linger on sadness, loss and character moments

Some people also say it's a retread of the first film, which I strongly disagree with. The idea of one alien and no weapons around is just about the only substantial thing that Alien and Alien 3 have in common, and in grand scheme of things, it's a very surface similarity. Aside from the fact that there's one alien, Alien 3 is completely different on every level. The cinematography is different, it abandons the expressionist backlit style of the first one (the second continued the original style too taking it a bit further), the story structure is completely different - again, while in both Alien and Aliens we only know as much as the characters, in Alien 3 we are always ahead of them, for example, we see the alien being born, we know it's there, we know what happened on Sulaco, we know before anyone else that the alien starts its killings, etc etc. Also, in the first two movies, nothing happens for over an hour into the film - both movies are almost one very long buildup into a single, multilayered climax. Alien 3 has the more conventional pacing - it starts with a bang and goes from action to no action, action to no action. More on that HERE

One might ask, what did I think about the Assembly Cut? It's popular to call it a much better, improved version of the movie. At first, when it first came out, I was all over it too. Especially since I liked and still like Alien 3 a whole lot. I vowed never to watch a theatrical cut again because I thought the Assembly Cut is so much superior. But after many years, I realized it was just a natural "high" from getting a new version of one of your favorite movies. Interesting, and good for superfans, but not so good for a first time viewer and definitely not superior to the Theatrical Cut. I realized that first when I was watching it with someone who had never seen Alien 3 before. The Assembly Cut seemed to drag terribly. The pacing was so off, and the movie seemed like it lingered in many moments, ruining what I thought was a scary and throat grabbing movie that the Theatrical Cut was. Sure, it's got all those extra character moments, but does more character moments automatically means better? No. It was too much and there were side plots that took too long to the point of diverting the movie and it's flow too much. It took too much to get to the point. It stretched the viewer to the point the movie lost its grip. The movie that drags loses the atmosphere and the scary mood. In contrast, the Theatrical cut is a much more intense and tighter ride. It grabs you by the throat in the beginning of the movie and never lets go. And there's plenty more things that make the Theatrical Cut superior, like a much , much , much better montage of the EEV victims in the beginning, a much stronger moment of Ripley dying with a much better score accompanying it and the Theatrical Cut makes the creature more terrifying. How so? Well, in the Assembly Cut they manage to catch it, so, considering that they lured the Runner again into a trap by the end of the movie, it makes the creature fall into a trap twice! And it gets actually caught! 


Alien 3 is no longer my favorite, although I still hold it in very high regards for the reasons given above. It's good, very good I would say (Theatrical Cut) and remains in my top 10 favorites, it's just that the first two are even "more good"

***

ALIENS

Let's go back to late 1990's, to the moment in which me and my school friend decided to watch the movies that preceded Alien 3 after watching that movie again for the first time in years. We had to wait for the right time so that his parents weren't home, and the impatient me decided to rent Aliens myself after a few days, so I did. You may probably think that the movie completely blew me away, but sorry to surprise you, but at the time didn't. My first experiences with Aliens prove that HOW you watch a movie makes all the difference in how you're enjoying it. Movies should be watched as intended, on a big screen, uninterrupted, with clear and loud sound. Instead, I watched it right after school, with my head still full from the entire day in it, with sun glaring on the screen, and with loud midday sounds of the city: cars honking, people washing cars outside, kids playing. And my friends were already waiting outside for me to hang out with them. So not much of an immersive experience to say the least. Because of that, I just thought "ok, next". I liked it, but it was pretty much just another movie. And it didn't help that I was never into military and stuff. For a moment I was shocked to see that it was a James Cameron movie, until I remembered reading in a magazine a few years back that he directed it. Also, it wasn't until the credits started to roll when I realized which movie was next and what comes next. I was so bummed! When my friends asked me how was the movie I told them that I feel down because of it, but not because what was in it but what I realized will happen to the characters. 

I've seen the movie one more time soon after on TV with additional scenes, so the Special Edition. I loved the Sentry Guin sequence. Absolutely loved it. Then I dropped interest in the mythology after the 1997 abomination came out.

While I experienced a little renewed interest briefly around 2002 (more on it when I'll be discussing the original movie), I did not have a desire to revisit the sequels due to what I've been spoonfed online. I've read online (I believe it might have been the now defunct imdb board) from the original movie's purists about how Aliens is a sacrilege to the first movie. Since I barely remembered the movie, I figured "Gee, I better not ruin my enjoyment of the original and just stick with the first movie". That the way it was up until years later (when I was about to buy the DVD set) I saw a photo of H.R. Giger working on the alien head, and it had the exact same design as the Warriors in Aliens. I was shocked and felt like an idiot for believing these purists when I saw the clear bias. It was such a shock for me, I started reading up on everything on the Alien movies possible and on the designs of the alien in each movie, and realized those guys were wrong or lying in every possible field. Their interpretations of the movie and the creature contradicted with what the director and the writers said. Not only the creators behind the original didn't hate Aliens, they actually thought it's the only good sequel. And on and on and on. Since then, I have a very low tolerance for misinformed know-it-alls, and I research before blindly believing in someone's statement. 

So anyway, with a fresh perspective, I rewatched Aliens and really liked it. But what wowed me was its visual style. Granted, it carries over the original style, but turns it up to the point of bringing itself close to the style of the 1973's The Exorcist 

I'm talking about the beautiful hazy, backlit expressionist lighting. That style has always been my favorite. The play with the shadows. One of my all time favorite movie shots are from The Exorcist, and Aliens is in that same style. So those visuals absolutely floored me. 

The aliens are presented in the movie only as either silhouettes, shadows or in split second shots (See the examples above right and below). It was designed that way from the story's inception. Even the script calls them shadows, silhouettes and phantoms. 

I also remember literally saying out loud "wow" when the camera first revealed the Queen and panned up. Not only the visual design with the backlight is beautiful, but also how real she seems and how well framed and constructed this shot is, again, not to mention the stylistic look. So the imagery I was always blown away by, and still think it's one of the most stunning looking films ever, and this shot is one of the best ones.

Around this time I also got into my beloved Dark Horse Aliens comic series and I just couldn't put them down. I must have read hours with no rest. I've read all three Aliens Dark Horse Omnibuses I had. Nowadays I own all the Dark Horse Aliens ever released in Marvel's massive Omnibus Collections. And my favorite comic book image was a cover to Aliens: Book Two Issue 2 by Den Beauvais. It captured the quintessential visual style of Aliens

I also really love the Alien Warrior design. 


Retaining all the H.R. Giger's detailing while also showcasing the exposed head ribs which really work well in dark environment

By the time I rewatched Aliens years later with my wife, I forgot how incredibly intense and muscle tensing it is, especially after a really long break in viewing. And that’s when I really and finally got into it. I was also surprised my wife loved it as much as she did, since she naturally hates action movies. Then again, I don't think of Aliens as your average action movie. This movie has a buildup for almost half of the movie, like the original. It's got a look and mood of a horror movie. It's visually stylish. She said the characters were very distinct and the movie was like experiencing an emergency landing. After finally seeing it the right way, on a large screen with a great sound and focused, it was like what Roger Ebert described - it was so intense my gut was hurting and I was literally exhausted after it was finished. The experience of watching Aliens was indeed like an emergency landing!

The tension in that film is built to unbearable level, and then when you think it's dialed to the 10, the intensity and tension gauges still go up.

The idea of the motion tracker, and one that gives out a more intense and faster beeping when something approaches is one of the most masterful suspenseful elements of this film. It's a fantastic device used brilliantly throughout the film, even in the first part of the film which is this big, very long buildup. The film is a pit of water that at some point comes to a boiling point, but it takes its time. And I love how the movie has this spooky, haunting deserted town vibe. The howling wind, dripping water.  The sound plays such a great part in the movie, as in the original. 


I also love when sequels are, in some ways, radically different (but still retain the core elements). This movie's scale is so much bigger than the original's. As oppose to few isolated people confined to a ship who visit a desolated asteroid, we start on Earth's space station, see hospital, board meeting, living quarters (and more in the Special Edition). 


As oppose to an empty planet there's an entire colony complex - the scale of the movie is so much grander than the first's. Weaver once said that next to Aliens, Alien is like a cucumber sandwich. I like when sequels really aren't just a repeat, but at the same time aren't too different.

The sets angle toward a slightly different, side-lit, an even more angular look, but retain the general visual consistency thanks in huge part to Ron Cobb, who designed the interiors for both Alien and Aliens


The grounded realism of the original is also retained in how people dress. People still wear suits, miners/colonists wear used and dirty yellow oil rig uniforms, medical staff still wears white or green. Only the slightest adjustments were made to the costumes to suggest a slight fashion shift, such as different collars, or arm patches on some nurse staff


And also note how the hospital instrumentation does not scream "future", and like technology in the original movie, it actually feel contemporary for the movie's times. 


The first time I saw the Sentry Guns scene, that nearly gave me a heart attack. I can't really say how long I stopped breathing for during that whole sequence. For me the movie lived and breathed in the tension of when and if the aliens will come through the barricade. Best moments of the movie for me were the character scenes of arguing, panicking and tensions about their situation and the sentry guns scene falls into that category.

And at some point I was watching the film with my wife who has a mild heart condition, and she actually asked to pause for one minute after the facehugger med lab scene. She said she couldn't stand the tension  and have to calm down for a bit.

The ending is very bittersweet. Even thought it's sort of a happy ending, it's double sided, like the original's. The heroes don't save the villagers, the girl does not reunite with her parents, the Marines don't go home. Alien and Aliens do have a happy ending.  But they don't have, lets say, Die Hard happy ending in which the hostages are saved, the wife is reunited with a husband and the building is liberated. That is a truly happy ending of the times. Both happy endings of the first two movies are fitting for the genre: the protagonist survives and the immediate threat is neutralized, but their missions have failed, and death is everywhere.

A typical Hollywood ending of the time would've been for the marines to lose one soldier but for the majority to win, high five, save all the colonists, have the crowd cheering and clapping and hugging their loved ones, and Newt reuniting with her family. Most action pictures of the time, which Aliens is always categorized as, ended like this. But again, in Aliens, while the ending is by definition happy, it's ominous and at the same sad and gloomy. Hundreds of families were not saved. The entire platoon aside from one wounded soldier died. Two people who went through trauma hope to face their inner demons together. Lights out, ominous horror music on for the credits. Not a happy, relaxing, victorious score, but an ominous horror music. Even the original Alien had a happy song during the credits



Aliens is now my favorite, and even though it isn't a very unique or original opinion, well, the heck with it, just like almost everyone else, I do like Aliens most. Beautiful visually, and extremely engaging. 


***

ALIEN

Let's go back to the late 1990s again. So my friend missed Aliens, but by the time we were ready to watch the original 1979 Alien, he had an apartment for himself and were were clear to rent it and watch it. Since Alien was in the R rated section right next to porn section, it took us a while to stop giggling from the porn movie titles. 

One would think it would have been odd to watch the first movie last, but actually it wasn't. Other than the soundtrack, the movie did not seem to age at all, so it was like watching a brand new movie. We liked it, and I remember feeling like we finally saw all the movies and finished watching the series. That and the whiteness of some of the Nostromo chambers were creeping me out. They looked like hospital, and I was afraid of hospitals then. We never knew anyone who would be in one, and we knew hospitals are were people die. So the opening was eerie. And it felt eerie afterward when we discussed the movie that Kane, who died first, woke up first. 


The movie had that strange creepiness about it. There are movies that are scary, and there are movies that are scary and creepy. Alien had that panic inducing creepiness about itself. What I didn't like and was puzzled by is why there's a Snow White type of music playing during the end credits. I thought it didn't fit the movie at all. 

With the viewing of the trilogy completed, I was ready to go see the 4th movie and we know what happened after (that garbage ruined the entire series for me and I stopped being a fan)

Few years later in 2002, at the very tail end of my interest in movies until 2008, I had an urge one November evening to watch something slow, something "quiet". I just read about the Director's Cut of Alien being released and thought this will be a perfect movie for my mood. I was a teenager at the time, attending School of Art, so of course I saw the movie with a very different set of eyes and point of view. I was so mesmerized by Giger's art I became very interested in him and his work. Since I was attending Art School, and most of its students were very eccentric and "artsy", they were all huge fans of Giger's work (and Jim Morrison and Marylin Manson) and I could borrow Giger's Art Books. Unfortunately, no one had Giger's ALIEN book that I really wanted to see. 

I didn't care to rewatch the other movies, I could barely remember them and it was this slow paced "art gallery" that I was interested in. The whole Jockey skeleton, which was an impossible creature grown into and over the machinery. It was so unique and Lovecraftian and eerie. And a bit Cronenbergian with the suggested body horror from that fusion of a live being and machinery. I also loved the mystery of it all. The idea that the alien race is something that lived and was pretty much extinct for millions or billions of years, and was awaken by the Nostromo crew was absolutely fascinating. As was imagining that the egg layer or the Jockey alien may still be somewhere down that cave (i didn't know about eggmorphing yet). 


I didn't want to see the other movies because of what I've read online from full of crap purists, who I didn't know were full of s**t , and believed that the other movies did not follow their own interpretations of the creature. I think people like that are stubborn and will never accept that some things do not have a secret meaning and may still stubbornly disagree even with the director and writers. 

Upon my rewatches years later, my opinion of the movie didn't really change much. I admired more things, like the cinematography, which is of the style that's most appealing to me: German Expressionism. It's an interplay of light and shadow, heavily backlit silhouettes. I never noticed before how much of that style is in Alien. It's obvious in Aliens, but I somehow missed it in Alien before. 


The obvious great visuals and designs aside, one of the things that Alien has going for it is making it all real. Very real. The people, their attire, their talk. Even the ship's uniforms don't draw attention to itself. But the most real thing is Lambert. She projects how a real person would react in the situation, and her fear and absolute panic radiates from the movie so much it's contagious. 


What's absolutely real is also the ship - it keeps rumbling nearly all the time we hear engines at different volume levels, and it (intentionally) sounds like a heartbeat. Everything is rusty, leaking and it's all a "future retro" look. In many movies, even more recent ones, spaceship cockpits are either comic booky or feel like a set. Here, the entire ship is "alive" all the time. Even in quieter places, you hear all those strange, ambient noises (those specific ones were designed by Ben Burtt of Star Wars fame)


The ship looks like a modern day, old submarine in places. It's a very grounded look


The movie also masters the feel of loneliness and isolation. It's slow and "quiet" so to speak. Very slow, and very quiet. The soundtrack itself isn't really a horror soundtrack, some of it is very calm, very soothing but uneasy at the same time. For example, the shot of Nostromo and its massive oil refinery approaching the planetoid shows how actually small Nostromo and its payload is in the vast, dark universe, and the track playing during it underlines the visual - the feeling of vast spaces that are devoid of any life, feeling of being small in a huge universe, of being alone. The film almost makes you feel like there's nobody in the entire universe, it masters that feel.


Alien is also one of only two movies that gave me a nightmare, particularly Lambert's encounter with the Alien. Veronica Cartwright, who I had honor meeting few years back, plays the role of terror and hysteria so good, it makes you panic as well. I remember thinking how it would feel to be in her shoes and suddenly see a giant, gleaming black thing staring at you in silence. Just like for her, it would have been paralyzing fear. And that's another example of realism. There's so many movies where people act so heroic in the face of unbelievable things, but here the reaction is genuine and how most likely a real human being would react. The catatonic fear


Also, the scene with Dallas in the vents I think is masterfully done and for me it is the scariest scene ever made. That scene is also showcasing how stunningly real and alive the original Alien is painted. The finishing paint job is just unreal


Alien Trilogy is my favorite trilogy of all time, even a notch above the original Star Wars Trilogy. It's interesting that my favorite Trilogy did not intend to be a trilogy until the third movie! While its not unusual for a movie to spawn a trilogy when it never intended to do so (RoboCop, Back to the Future), usually by the second movie they know it's gonna be a trilogy and play it as a 2nd act (same examples). But in the case of Alien, it all became a Trilogy and a great cohesive unity only with the inclusion of the third movie. The end of Aliens intended to be the end, and the third one uses a cheat to extend a story. What's amazing is how the third movie retrofits the other movies so well into one great character arc and single handedly creates a cohesive, character-driven trilogy about a journey of one woman. To think she was originally planned to be discarded in 2 and then 3


Comments